Corporate Social Responsibility
We work hard to respect the environment, our employees and our communities.
Maximising fuel efficiency and minimising emissions
Dart Group PLC aims to operate at maximum fuel efficiency because it reduces harm to the environment and reduces our operating costs. Already, the entire Group's aircraft exceed the International Civil Aviation Organisation’s requirements for minimising air pollution.
In Jet2.com and indirectly through Jet2holidays, we aim to improve fuel efficiency and reduce emissions by 4% per annum. To do this, we are:
- reducing drag through focused aircraft maintenance
- investing in flight planning technology so that our planes fly the most efficient routes
- investing in winglets which improve aircraft performance, particularly at take-off
In Fowler Welch, we are improving fuel efficiency and minimising emissions by:
- reducing the overall number of miles driven through the ‘shared user and back’ scheme
- minimising the number of empty vehicle miles by planning routes on a daily basis
- monitoring and improving our employees’ driving styles by using onboard systems
- upgrading our fleet to Euro 5 rather than Euro 4-engine compliant emission levels and investing in dual-fuel vehicles, which now comprise 15% of the fleet
- using fuel traps to prevent fuel seeping into the water table, where re-fuelling facilities are on-site
- assessing our warehouses for fuel efficiency and implementing programmes to minimise energy usage.
We are saving over 350 tonnes of carbon per annum by changing the way that we make deliveries to a major retailer’s stores in cities and town centres. We use our national network of distribution hubs so that we can have a more efficient mix of delivery vehicles and split loads onto smaller trailers.
Equal opportunities for all
We select, train, develop and promote our employees based on their ability and aptitude. The Group has a policy of treating job applicants and employees in the same way, regardless of their gender, race, ethnic origin or disability. We retain employees who become disabled during their employment whenever possible.
We keep our employees regularly informed about matters relating to their employment through information bulletins, circulars, pension newsletters and team briefings.
We provide our colleagues who have English as a second language with on-site lessons. The University of Lincoln runs and accredits the Language Tuition Scheme for us. In July 2007, we were awarded a Business in the Community Big Tick award for the scheme. Even better, it has improved our colleagues’ operational efficiency, integration and morale.
We have consistently improved our safety statistics. The Jet2.com and Fowler Welch safety officers help line managers to operate safely. They advise on regulatory compliance and best practice for flight safety, driver training and occupational health and safety. They also maintain the operational quality systems. As a result, we have been able to provide a safer working environment for our employees and reduce our insurance premiums.
Supporting our communities
We provide prizes for local fund raising activities and sponsor local sports teams. We also support our staff in their own community work.